Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A long story for a little lady... my Grandma Rene!! :)

Let me start by saying, " I sure hope my Grandma is okay with me putting all this out there!!!"

To me God made something special when He made my Grandma Rene. I will say growing up I strongly disliked whenever I tried to tell her a story and she would stop to correct my poor grammar. "Kathryn, who?" she would say. And I would sigh dramatically big (i was/can be a bit dramatic) and say, "my friends and I". Seriously, being the kid of a principal and music teacher was tough enough, but add to it the granddaughter of 2nd grade teacher and I thought I had it rough. :)
Soo tourtured... or sooo loved!!! I think its the latter :) My Grandma Rene and me (2 yrs old)
Kathryn (2), Grandma Rene, and Jenn (6)

The wiser, older, me is very thankful for the guidance and help from all my family growing up. And now I find myself silently correcting everyone anytime they start a sentence with "me and my friends, or me and so and so." I think my Grandma would be proud she's engrained that in me.  But seriously, if you say that around me and you see me smile it's not your story. It's the thoughts of the gentle correction my grandma always would give me, along with an ever so gentle judgment on your lack of skill in the grammar department. (Sorry i'm human, i try not to judge but poor grammar gets me every time!)

But I digress, if you read my Happy Heart Day post last year then you know that I have some pretty amazing family. (Full disclosure, every family has its disfunction ... it puts the FUN in family, but despite our sinful nature and flaws my family is pretty darn awesome!)

So, todays tale starts last week with a great FaceTime spent talking with my Grandma Rene. She is the recent recipient of my uncles Ipad and has google fiber.... yes google fiber in her town of (i think this is right) less then 600. I know at one point it boasted a pop. of 700 but my grandma told me they decided not to count the dogs anymore so its 600. So regardless, a very small town with google fiber! Be jealous!

She is learning how to use her ipad and facetime and I love it!!! I get to see her face more often since I live so far away and only get up to the portion of Iowa once a year.
My Grandma Rene and Grandpa Leonard from Christmas 2014 :) 

So, we were talking and I told her I was going two stepping that night. To which (as does everyone and i do mean EVERYONE in my life) she gently asked if I was going with a group of friends or with a fella.

When you reach your late 20s and are in church work everyone and their grandma (mine included) want to set you up, find you your husband or talk about why you seem so single. Sometimes, it does get the better of me and I get a bit snarky in my responses, but I knew my grandma was simply trying to gently ask if I was seeing anyone. I told her I had been seeing someone, but that it wasn't the guy for me so right now I'm single.

She told me that if it was God's will he would work it out and that she had really tested God in finding her her husband, and she thought she'd never find the guy for her. (If someone who has been married for 60 years starts giving you advice on marriage and relationships you sit up and listen---60 years folks that's amazing!!)

I laughed and she told me, " I told God I wanted to marry someone who didn't drink, didn't smoke and loved God." She thought 60 years ago that would be impossible to find, but God placed my grandpa Leonard in her life through a quick decision of a change in plans. Instead of going to see a movie, last minute my Grandpa and his friend Sam decided to go bowling instead. Sam and my grandpa both met their future wives that night at the bowling alley. (God is in the smallest of decisions!!!)

I laughed and told her, "I'm okay if he drinks the occasional wine, and your criteria are my criteria too, but I'd also prefer if he was taller then me." At 4 foot 10 she never had to worry about this last bit (my grandpa is over 6 foot tall), and we laughed as she agreed she would never have dated anyone shorter then her. That'd just be too short!

There was a lot more laughing within our conversation but we ended with her saying that she understood my waiting, that I should be picky, and that she was and would be praying for me to find a good tall Christian man!

Too which I said, "Your prayers seemed to work well for me 28 years ago, it seems you've got the big guy's ear. So, yes, pray for me!! Maybe they'll work, if it's God's will." We laughed and truly enjoyed our talk and time on Facetime together. Man is technology a huge blessing when you're in ministry and live far away from family!! 

But seriously, there is power in prayer, and while I jokingly laugh off the power of prayer to find me a good husband, I also realize that we're called to pray in all times without ceasing about all things. -- That's scripture folks!. (1 Thess. 5:17).

So, today is Happy Heart Day and given the recent conversation with my Grandma about prayer I thought it was fitting to share a poem of prayer my grandma wrote for me. Prayer has the power to change lives, to transform, and to grow our relationship with Christ and with each other. Here is a prayer that is forever near and dear to my heart in so many ways, and if you did read my post last year this is the prayer poem I referred to receiving from my Grandma Rene 25 years after my heart surgery.


This was written for my granddaughter Kathryn. I'll give it to her when she is older. 


It took me all afternoon to write it and all evening to polish it. 

She tacked this photo taken 6/1/86 on the front of the poem: Dad, Mom, Jenn and Kathryn

I Prayed for You by Maurine Amendt

Mom (Janna) and me 5/9/86

Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you. 
The news of your birth on May 9th
Came to me as I finished noon duty. 
You were only a couple hours old
When I learned you weighed  7lbs 11 oz.
And Mom was so proud of your long dark hair.
Dad (Bruce) and me... look at that hair! 5/9/86


The next day was Saturday so
Grandma & Grandpa drove to Mason City. 
We visited with Mom, Dad, and Jennifer. 
"Do you want to see my sister?"

Jennifer bounced down the hall
Jenn (4 yrs) looking in on her baby sis
Climbed up to the viewing steps
And announced to all
"There's Baby Kathryn!"
I, too, climbed up the steps
And knelt beside Jennifer
Note the pic of my adorable sis Jenn on my bassinet May 86
And gazed in awe. 
Such beautiful long dark hair. 
"See my picture?" Jennifer asked. 
Her photo was taped to your bassinet. 
The hospital "Sibling Class" had planned ahead
So you and Jennifer could become close friends. 
Then Dad told of a slight heart murmur. 
Tests were scheduled for the morrrow. 

Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you. 
Dad called Sunday evening after consultation 
No hole in the heart or meningitis
Pneumonia was the diagnosis. 
Your respiration and pulse were high, 
Medication and tubes were prescribed.
Mom came home Thursday, very sad, 
You had to stay a few more days,
And Jennifer went home with Grandma Hight. 
Mom and Dad were all alone. 

Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you. 
The following Sunday, the news was worse. 
You were flying by helicopter to Iowa City, 
Your pulse and respiration hovered at 200. 
No one knew if you'd survive the flight
For possible heart surgery on Monday. 
Mom and Dad drove to Iowa City. 
They met Pastor Bailey, Aunt Larie's minister,
Who baptized you into Christ's family. 

Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you.
Larie and I drove for hours. 
I could not teach Monday
If you were having heart surgery. 
It was a tearful reunion at the hospital, 
Then on to Larie's apartment
Where phone calls were made
To all concerned at home. 
"Kathryn had survived the flight
Heart catherization was scheduled for morning."

Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you. 
At 6:30 a.m. we were visiting you. 
This was my first chance to touch you. 
May 1986
"Please, Lord, don't let it be my last!"
Tears flowed as I snapped pictures
Of you with Mom and Dad. 
The nurse wheeled you out
In your self-contained unit. 
Oh, so many monitors and tubes
On such a tiny baby. 
But then I glanced at 25 other babies
You were bigger by far. 

Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you. 
We waited an eternity
Four long hours
In a very tiny waiting room. 
We thumbed through magazines, 
Read bulletin board notices, 
Compassionate Friends 515-424-7211.
"Please, Jesus, don't let us need that number."
Finally the doctors arrived. 
We studied their faces
And prayed for good news. 
"Her heart valve is bicuspid
Instead of tricuspid, 
But is functioning fine.
No surgery is needed for that. 
She does have coarctation of the aorta
And that will need surgery."
The doctors prescribed medication
And advised no surgery until age 3 or 4. 

Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you. 
My rededication clearly I was happy! 6/15/86 Me, Mom, Jenn, Dad
What a beautiful service on June 15th. 
Your parents, Jennifer, and grandparents witnessed
Your rededication on Father's Day, 
When you were 37 days old. 
Your mom and Aunt Brenda sang a duet. 
It was called, "For Baby",
And was very tender and loving. 
The whole congregation prayed for you. 

When you are an adult 
And read this poem 
You will know that every day
Kathryn Marie, I prayed for you. 




Every single time I read that poem I am in awe at the faith of my grandmother, my family and at the amazing power of prayer! If you don't believe me re-read it and re-read my Happy Heart Day post from last year. Prayer is amazing!

This is my "they're gonna do WHAT to me??? " face : Me, Jenn and Mom 3/2/87
This poem was written before I had to have heart surgery at 10 months old on March 3, 1987.
Here's a few pics the day before my big surgery.  
Dad, Mom, Jenn and Myself 3/2/1987
Dad and me 3/2/87
Can we all agree my sister has the best smile!!! Jenn, me and my dad 3/2/87
God preformed some pretty amazing miracles that day, but it's the relationships and the heart that has come out of such pain that has truly been the biggest blessing. 

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. -- Romans 8:26. 

While my family was praying in agony or at times simply relying on the Spirit to intercede, God was and continues to work miracles that day and to this day. 

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. -- Romans 8:28

That day was a hard day in the Amendt family, one that can now years later be looked back on with joy and thanksgiving. This wasn't and won't be the hardest, worse or last bad day in my life or the lives of my family. This side of heaven we will continue to experience pain, sorrow, hurt, and agony because we live in a broken world full of messed up people who from time to time mess each other up. But I thank God that through prayer, through Him, He is able to bring beauty out of dust, miracles out of caios, and a happy heart out of one once broken. 

I used to hate my limitations and my scars but I know that my scars saved my life, without my scars I wouldn't be here and I wouldn't be who I am today. But I also know by His scars on his hands, his feet and his side... by Jesus' scars my life isn't just saved here on earth and my life isn't just transformed here on earth. But by His scars I have been given new life, eternal life and through His suffering and pain we all get to experience great joy! What gladness fills my heart with that knowledge!!!

I thank God for His amazing hand in my life, in my relationships and for all the amazing blessings he has so graciously given to me... especially the love and prayers of one pretty amazing woman of faith, my Grandma Rene!! 
Grandpa and Grandma Amendt 2014
Happy Heart Day!! Remember God can bring good out of your deepest pain, beauty out of your ugliest days , and joy out of the most broken of hearts if you trust in Him! God bless and Happy Heart Day!!!!



Ps I called my grandma she's okay with me sharing this story ;) 
Pps My parents are pretty darn sweet too!! 


Ppps My sister rocks as well!!! Check out our cuteness!! 

I think the Sibling Class my grandma mentions works cuz I thank God for my Best Friend Jenn!!!
Pppps To my sister and Grandma Rene... don't proof read this post too harshly... i tried my best to edit it, but it's a bit of a long post ;) 

Ppppps at what point does post scripts get a bit redundant and you should've just continued in normal paragraph form? The answer!!! Never!!! Sorry not sorry for all my post scripts :) hehehe Happy heart day again y'all make it a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment